Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Factoring Polynomials Intro

As CARC's Mathematics Lead Teacher Facilitator, I create many resources for teachers within my region.  Several months ago, I discovered Teachers Pay Teachers which is a website where teachers can share and download resources of all kinds, for all grades, for all subjects for free and for a fee.

I thought it was silly that I'm sharing just a small portion of my resources with only the teachers I meet through workshops.  Why not post them on this website so that anyone who wants to can download them!

The first Smartboard lesson I've uploaded to this website is entitled "Factoring Polynomial Expressions". 

This Smart Notebook file, along with Algebra Tiles, can be used to help students learn how to factor and multiply polynomial expressions. It leads them through the concrete (using the tiles) to the abstract (without the tiles). This file has been used with students, modified, presented to teachers, modified, and modified some more. I converted the student pages to a pdf (found in the attachments of the file) to be handed out to students for record keeping.

It's also an excellent refresher for students who will be working on "Completing the Square."


Aligns to Alberta Curriculum: Math 10C and 20-1

Below I have include two sample pages from the file.







 - TeachersPayTeachers.comThis resource can be located on my Teachers Pay Teachers store AT NO CHARGE!  Make sure to post a review in my store.  Let me know if you have any suggestions for improvement!



Creative Commons License
Factoring Polynomial Expressions by Sandi Berg is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to post a comment on my blog. In order to prevent spam or inappropriate comments, I am moderating comments before posting. If they relate to the post, are thoughtful, and respectful, they will be approved. Please be patient as it may take me up to 24 hours to approve them.

Have a wonderful and mathy day!

Sandi