Friday, May 25, 2018

Welcome Back from an Extreme Hiatus!

Oh my how time flies. I was recently asked by a publisher if I had ever thought about writing a book. I love the idea but realized if I am going to write a book, I should probably get back to writing on my blog. So here I am!

Here's a little update about what has been happening in my world over the past 6 years.

Through my current role as a Curriculum Implementation Support Consultant for Central Alberta Regional Consortium, I have done a ton of work around and reading on research on K-12 mathematics.  I have been working with K-12 math teachers, exploring ways to teach math in a way that makes sense to students, rather than through rote memorization of rules, procedures and facts. I'll be writing about this alot as this is the question I am always asking myself: "How do I teach this outcome for deeper understanding so that students will make connections, think critically, problem solve, often through concrete experiences building towards abstract thinking and mastering the outcome.

I started posting all of the resources I have created for use in workshops, for modelling lessons in classrooms and at teachers' requests for specific activities, into an online "dumping grounds" using OneDrive. These resources can all be downloaded an edited as needed by anyone as they are in Word, PowerPoint, Smart Notebook, etc. If you check it out, you will notice that there is a folder for every grade which contains grade specific materials. Remember, these are based on Alberta Curriculum so if you are not from Alberta, you will have to explore other grade levels to find appropriate materials.  Some folders, like fractions and algebraic equations, have their own folders as they span many grades. Many of the activities include "scripts" as part of the teacher instructions. They will be written out in detail: You say this, you write this, you ask this, they should respond this...etc. This isn't to script you! This is so you know what is going on in my head. I've done many of those activities 20-30 times in classes and I am constantly going off script. Every time I teach it, students interact with the lesson differently and make me think of the idea/activity in a different way. Maybe they needed more scaffolding. Maybe they needed to be pushed further. When I say or do something that makes the activity better, I go back to the instructions and modify those so they are constantly being updated.  I will be focusing many of these blog posts on the activities that are already in those folders. There is a games folder which contains a Basic Facts games folder. Inside that folder, you will find "games" that help students practice basic facts. These aren't about helping students build understanding but rather an opportunity to build fluency with those basic facts.

Through my role at CARC, I have been part of the development of the Elementary Mathematics Professional Learning which focuses on supporting K-6 Alberta Math teachers. The content is organized around Equality, Additive Thinking, Multiplicative Thinking, Instructional Practices and Assessment. Although connections are made to Alberta curriculum, these big ideas are applicable to everyone. Many of the blog posts will focus on these ideas.

I have so many ideas that I look forward to blogging about. Big ideas will be explored over several blog posts, building upon previous ideas. I will share activities that I have shared throughout many of the workshops I have provided over the past 7 years. I encourage you to share ways that I could make these activities even better for students.

I will always connect my activities to the current Alberta curriculum but in the comments, please feel free to share how it connects to the outcomes where you are teaching.

I know that I will push buttons. After 7 years in this role, I have changed my teaching dramatically! Some things have been dropped, added and remained the same. My goal is to reach each and every student!

I know that some of the posts will push buttons and I am ok with that. I know that you may not agree with everything I have to say and I am ok with that. I know that some of you will share your ideas and beliefs about how mathematics should be taught that will challenge my own ideas and I am ok with that. I ask you to read each of these posts with an open mind. I encourage each and every one of you to share your ideas in a respectful way and I promise to read them with an open mind as well.

When I share an activity with you, please know that I have taught it in a classroom to students and in workshops with teachers many times, sometimes up to 40 times over the past 7 years. Also remember, that I know that I can always make them better. Each class, each student is different and that means the lessons must adapt to meet their needs, usually on the fly.

I look forward to taking on a more active blogging role. I am setting a goal of blogging once a week. That is my promise to myself and to you.

Sandi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to post a comment on my blog. In order to prevent spam or inappropriate comments, I am moderating comments before posting. If they relate to the post, are thoughtful, and respectful, they will be approved. Please be patient as it may take me up to 24 hours to approve them.

Have a wonderful and mathy day!

Sandi