Friday, September 2, 2011

Math 11 Cohort

Today was a day well spent sharing the benefits of google calendar with a colleague and helping him set it up on his computer and iphones.  I don't know how I would survive without google calendar!

Don't worry.  That's not how I spent my entire day.  On Monday, September 26, I will be hosting a "Math 11 Cohort" Part 1 of 3.  I've never run a cohort before and I want it to be successful so I am carefully devising my agenda, gathering resources and prepping my presentation.  The question becomes "How much is too much?" to share on the first day?  I'm thinking of the following for an agenda...and I would appreciate constructive criticism on it.

9:00 - 9:15 Welcome, Introductions and Housekeeping  (The obvious stuff plus I will show them the moodle website where we will post all resources, etc).
9:15 - 10:00 Let's Get Philosophical (This will be an opportunity to explore the philosophy and pedagogy of the new program of studies as grade 11 math has a new curriculum this year)
10:00 - 10:15 Break
10:15 - 12:00 Dig in to Resources (I will share some activities and resources I have created and found.  We'll probably explore some activities done by Marian Small regarding assessment)
12:00 - 1:00 Lunch (probably shortened to end day earlier)
1:00 - 3:30 Getting down to business (They will divide themselves into course groups and begin creating resources)

So, have I packed too much information into one day?  Will they be overwhelmed?  What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to post a comment on my blog. In order to prevent spam or inappropriate comments, I am moderating comments before posting. If they relate to the post, are thoughtful, and respectful, they will be approved. Please be patient as it may take me up to 24 hours to approve them.

Have a wonderful and mathy day!

Sandi